NATURIST ACTION COMMITTEE
DECEMBER 7, 2023
THIS IS YOUR FINAL CHANCE TO LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
Comment period for the proposed state anti-nudity rules ends on December 10, 2023.
This is an urgent Action Alert from the Naturist Action Committee (NAC) in collaboration with Planet Nude, focusing on the proposed rule changes by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) that threaten naturist activities on state-managed lands.
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has proposed sweeping amendments to chapters NR 1, 11, 45, 51, 115, and 116 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, with a particular focus on prohibiting public nudity on state-managed lands. This move follows the 2016 closure of Mazo Beach, a notable naturist spot, and coincides with recent legislative efforts to criminalize public nudity across Wisconsin.
Notably, while these rules aim to make nudity illegal on all state lands, a significant driving force behind these changes appears to be the intention to reopen Mazo Beach as a textile-only area. This approach represents a heavy-handed shift in policy, impacting not just Mazo Beach but also imposing restrictive limitations on naturist activities throughout all state lands in Wisconsin.
A virtual hearing was recently held by the DNR, where the majority of public comments opposed the proposed nudity ban, specifically section 37 regarding public nudity. However, the DNR is still proceeding with these changes, with the final comment period closing on December 10, 2023.
The Proposed Rule Changes
The new DNR rules aim to define nudity strictly and prohibit it on all lands managed by the department. The text of the redefinition direction from the proposed rule changes, Section 37, reads as follows:
Section 37 – NR 45.04 (3) (am) Nudity.
- In this section, “nude” or “nudity” means being clothed or unclothed in such a manner that the person’s genitals, pubic hair, buttocks, perineum, anus, anal region, or pubic hair region of any person, or any portion of the breast at or below the upper edge of the areola thereof of any female person, is exposed to public view or is not covered by an opaque covering.
- No person may appear, bathe, sunbathe, walk, or otherwise be nude on any lands under the management, supervision, or control of the department. This does not apply to breastfeeding by nursing parents and does not apply in any of the following areas not open to public view: restrooms, bath houses, showers, changing facilities, or privately-owned camping units.
This move not only impacts Mazo Beach but also sets a restrictive precedent for naturist activities throughout Wisconsin.
Call to Action
- Submit Individual Comments: It is imperative to submit unique, individual comments to the DNR before the December 10 deadline. Emphasize personal experiences and the impact of these rules on individual freedom and naturist activities.
- Spread the Word: Inform other naturists and supportive communities about these developments and encourage them to take action.
- Stay Informed and Involved: Sign up for free NAC alerts and newsletters to stay updated on this issue and for further guidance on opposing these restrictive rules. Visit naturistaction.org (click on Alerts and Advisories).
Suggested Talking Points for Your Comments
- Highlight the historical significance of naturist spaces like Mazo Beach in promoting body positivity and freedom.
- Discuss the impact of these rules on personal freedoms and how they conflict with Wisconsin’s values.
- Emphasize the responsible and respectful nature of naturist activities and counter any misconceptions.
- Point out the lack of public support for these rule changes, as evidenced by the recent virtual hearing.
Call NAC immediately at 920-415-2900 to learn more of the specific rules proposed, the intent of the new regulations, and many other important talking point suggestions (negative impact on local businesses, gender equality issues, beneficial tourism dollars, existing laws already covering concerns, poorly written DNR proposal, etc.).
Your Participation is Crucial
Your voice and action are vital in opposing these rule changes. The collective effort of the naturist community can make a significant impact in preserving our rights and freedoms. Let’s unite and express our opposition to these restrictive measures.
For Assistance and More Information
- Contact NAC for further suggestions and assistance at (920) 415-2900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit naturistaction.org for more resources and updates.
Secretary / Naturist Action Committee (NAC)
Naturist Action Committee (NAC)
PO Box 132, Oshkosh, WI 54903
Phone: (920) 415-2900
Note: Permission is granted for the posting, forwarding, or redistribution of this message, provided that it is reproduced in its entirety and without alteration.
Updates on two of Wisconsin’s Anti-Nudity Bills, AB 503 and AB 504 (as of 11/19/23)
The Naturist Action Committee is continuing to work diligently to prevent the proposed Assembly and Senate Bills as well as the proposed Administrative Rules changes from passing. Stay tuned for further developments…
This past week in the Assembly:
On 11/14/23 (Tuesday) the Assembly Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee scheduled an Executive Session for 11/16/23 to vote on AB503 and AB504.
On 11/15/23 (Wednesday) an amendment to AB504 was offered by 91st AD Representative Jodi Emerson (D) – Assembly Amendment 1. This amendment was submitted basically for the purpose of clarity, changing “intimate parts” references to “genitals”.
On 11/16/23 (Thursday) the Naturist Action Committee was present at the scheduled Executive Session meeting of the Assembly Criminal Justice & Public Safety Committee at which time the AB504 amendment was briefly discussed but not given much consideration and then died. The committee proceeded to briefly discuss and vote on AB503 & AB504 as originally introduced. As expected, both bills passed [10-5] along party lines.
On 11/17/23 (Friday) the current floor period ended, although committee and other work still continues behind the scenes. The next floor period begins when the biennial session reconvenes on January 16, 2024.
[Note: If party-line voting continues, when these four bills get to a floor vote they will be passed in both the Senate and Assembly.]
Background of current anti-nudity challenges being addressed by the Naturist Action Committee:
Proposed Bill AB503 relating to intentional exposure of genitals and providing a penalty.
Proposed Bill AB504 relating to attendance of children at public events with groups of nude adults and providing a penalty.
- 10/18/23 – these bills were introduced to the Assembly
- 10/18/23 – these bills were assigned to the Committee on Criminal Justice & Public Safety
- 10/31/23 – the Committee held a public hearing on these bills
Proposed Bill SB478 relating to intentional exposure of genitals and providing a penalty.
Proposed Bill SB477 relating to attendance of children at public events with groups of nude adults and providing a penalty.
- 09/29/23 – these bills were introduced to the Senate
- 09/29/23 – these bills were assigned to the Committee on Mental Health, Substance Abuse Prevention, Children & Families
- 10/05/23 – the Committee held a public hearing on these bills
Proposed Permanent Administrative Rules changes relating to DNR property management regulations.
- 07/29/21 – the scope statement (SS 074-21) for rule changes was approved by the Governor
- 08/30/21 – the scope statement (SS 074-21) for rule changes was published in Register No. 778B
- 01/26/22 – the scope statement (SS 074-21) for rule changes was approved by the Natural Resources Board
- 11/06/23 – the DNR submitted proposed rule changes to the Wisconsin Legislative Council Clearinghouse
- 11/06/23 – the DNR announced that a public hearing would be held on 12/05/23 regarding the rule changes
NAC is continuing to gather information and communicate with officials, professionals, and legislators while working together with various local groups and individuals in our united effort to defeat these threats.
Your next ACTION ALERT will address the DNR’s proposed Administrative Rules changes and your various options for commenting on the proposed rule by December 10, 2023. Meanwhile, CALL for more information.
If not already, sign up on our mailing list to receive NAC Advisories, Action Alerts, and Updates directly. Visit naturistaction.org (click on Alerts and Advisories) This also signs you up for NAC’s free emailed monthly newsletter.
If not already, visit Planet Nude to see select published NAC-related alerts & articles along with many other excellent essays, articles & discussions. Visit planetnude.co (click on Subscribe)
If you are not yet involved, PLEASE contact NAC. Time is running out, with much still needing to be done. There are many simple ways to participate and be a part of this important battle to preserve our naturist rights. We are always available to help you in your participation.
Presently we are looking statewide for many constituents from various Wisconsin legislative districts, as well as looking for some visitors from outside of the state – especially those who have visited public and private naturist venues here and have left their tourist dollars behind.
If not you, WHO? If not now, WHEN?
Just ask how you can help!
Please consider sharing a small amount of time working together with NAC to help preserve our naturist rights.
Last, but certainly not least:
A huge THANK YOU to ALL who have been involved in many different ways including by contacting various legislators and pertinent others. (One of our goals is to have constituents from each of the 33 senate and 99 assembly districts successfully connect with their state senators and representatives.) For those of you who have done so but have not yet sent NAC copies of your written/phone/in-person correspondences and responses with legislators and others, please do so now.
And we are EXTREMELY GRATEFUL to the creator of the Reddit.com (r/nudism) “First Annual 2023 NAC Fundraiser” and the many caring naturists on Reddit who contributed $800+ toward much needed funding. (Some donations were motivated by the Reddit fundraising campaign but came directly to NAC. As soon as the actual total Reddit-motivated direct contributions are determined, NAC will post an updated contribution total on Reddit.) NAC is sending individual acknowledgments to the known (non-anonymous) contributors as time allows. If you have not yet received a thank you, expect to receive one within the next few weeks. As was posted on Reddit:
“The Naturist Action Committee works for YOU. As the oldest, most successful and most respected organization in North America devoted exclusively to the advancement and protection of the rights of naturists, NAC has always been the credible voice for naturists. NAC is a volunteer, nonprofit organization; it has no membership roster on which to assess dues. NAC relies completely on the generous voluntary donations of concerned individuals … like YOU.”
Jim Dickey, NAC Secretary
Phone: 920-415-2900 (PLEASE call for more information, or to find out how you can help in our mission to defeat these attacks.)
NATURIST ACTION COMMITTEE
Wisconsin SB 477 and SB 478
Copyright 2023 by the Naturist Action Committee, which is responsible for its content.
Permission is granted for the posting, forwarding or redistribution of this message, provided that it is reproduced in its entirety and without alteration.
This is an Action Alert from the Naturist Action Committee (NAC) in collaboration with Planet Nude regarding anti-nudity Wisconsin Senate Bill 477 and Wisconsin Senate Bill 478.
The bills, if passed, would be immensely harmful to naturists,
and would set a very dangerous precedent for other states.
The 13th annual World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) in Madison was, by all measures, a success. Among the nearly 200 who participated this year was a 10 year old girl and her mother. The mother saw it as an opportunity to teach her daughter valuable lessons — not just about body positivity but also self-empowerment, giving her the option to dress however she chose. The young girl chose to participate nude just like everyone else, a choice respected and supported by her mother and, indeed, aligned with the event’s clothing-optional policy.
Yet the girl’s presence, entirely unremarkable in the international scope of World Naked Bike Rides, has nonetheless ignited a moralistic media controversy that has escalated to the national level. In the latest development of the continuing saga, proposed measures now aim to redefine public decency laws in Wisconsin, sparking a national debate that could jeopardize far more than just WNBR.
For more detailed background information, see the Planet Nude article “Double Standards in Dairyland” at: https://www.planetnude.co/p/double-standards-in-dairyland
This one incident is what was used to justify the introduction of these two bills of concern.
If not defeated, the ramifications will be far reaching to both naturists and non-naturists.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau (LRB-3844/4539)
This bill prohibits a person from causing a person who is under the age of 18 to attend an event at which a group of adult participants intentionally expose their genitals, buttocks, or other intimate parts in a public area. The bill also prohibits taking a picture or other representation of a child at such an event if the representation depicts the child’s intentionally exposed genitals, buttocks, or other intimate parts. The bill provides an exception to the second prohibition for a person who takes the picture or other representation with the intention to report to law enforcement a violation that is created under the bill as long as the person reports the violation within 24 hours of taking the picture or representation.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau (LRB-3843/4533)
Current law prohibits a person from publicly and indecently exposing genitals or pubic area. A person who violates the prohibition is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. This bill eliminates the element that the exposure be indecent and instead requires that the exposure be intentional.
WHAT IS NAC DOING?
- NAC has been very actively monitoring and gathering information on the Wisconsin situation since it originated. NAC has a board member in Madison who is in communication with both WNBR organizers (Madison and Milwaukee), with the family at the center of the incident, with many legislators, and multiple other agencies, organizations and individuals. As often is the case in working toward successful results, there’s a lot going on behind the scenes.
- NAC is closely monitoring anti-nudity Wisconsin Administrative Code changes created and submitted by the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) which can move forward after the bills are passed.
- NAC is working one-on-one with many concerned individuals, assisting them with the best approaches for taking steps and communicating with pertinent representatives and officials.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Contact NAC immediately by phone (920-415-2900) or email (email@example.com) to learn of the many ways you can be a part of making a difference. These may include actions naturists and non-naturists can take both behind the scenes and more public, determining most appropriate contacts to make and how best to connect with them, and best talking points to use based on your particular situation as well as the recipient’s needs to know.
- NAC is selectively targeting committee members and other specific legislators at present, but will be requesting help with a wider reach-out soon. Whether you’ve already contacted / written to bill authors or sponsors or legislators or plan to do so in the future, please keep NAC informed and send copies of your correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plan to attend or register testimony at upcoming public hearings once they are scheduled. NAC can help you understand the hearing process and help you plan your message points in advance.
- Inform naturist groups and friends — many of which may not be up-to-date on current events — of what’s happening and the importance of their involvement.
- Stay tuned for the next advisory which will be released soon.
- If not already, sign up for our mailing list to receive NAC Advisories, Action Alerts and Updates directly.
Visit naturistaction.org (click on Alerts and Advisories) This also signs you up for NAC’s newsletter.
- If not already, visit Planet Nude to see select published NAC-related alerts & articles along with many other excellent essays, articles and discussions. Visit www.planetnude.co (click on Subscribe)
Thank you for becoming involved. Together we can make a difference.
Secretary / Naturist Action Committee (NAC)
PO Box 132, Oshkosh, WI 54903 – (920) 415-2900 – naturistaction.org